Internships are an essential step in undergraduate study in the Department of Film and Media Studies, acting as a bridge between the classroom and the professional world. They provide invaluable exposure and insight into film and media through practical experience in a variety of areas, and also begin to build a network of professional contacts.
An internship can take place anywhere around the world. Many of our students work with companies in Los Angeles, and have also worked in New York, Dallas, Atlanta, and Kansas City. Internships can take many forms, from working for large corporations like Sony Entertainment to local businesses like Rockhaven Films here in Lawrence. Students gain experience in a wide variety of areas, such as script coverage, visual effects, sports media production, non-profit communication, and many others.
Internships are typically undertaken before the senior year; some students begin internships as early as the Summer between Sophomore and Junior years.
Out-of-state Internship Scholarships
Out of state internships are usually offered in the Summer months. Students should watch their email during the Spring semester for details about summer scholarships and application details.
- In order to enroll for FMS 307 Undergraduate Film/Media Internship credit, students must have already completed at least FMS 100, FMS 200, and FMS 380, and be admitted to the Film and Media Studies major.
- Undergraduates can earn up to six hours of internship credit, which will apply towards elective hours in the department, CLAS hours, and Junior/Senior hours.
- One hour of credit is equal to fifty hours of work. A typical Summer internship would total around 150 hours of work, or three credits. It is possible to register for one or two hours of credit. Students can register for no more than three hours of credit in a single term.
- Students may enroll for internship credit concurrently with the experience (i.e., enrolling for Summer credit while doing a Summer internship). Students may also enroll for credit up to one year after the experience has been completed.
- All internship experiences must be approved in advance by the Internship Coordinator.
Professor Bob Hurst
Summerfield Hall, 230P
FMS Internship Form for FMS 307 (undergraduate) or FMS 707 (graduate)
FMS students have participated in internships from the companies listed below:
Out of State
Alyson Horn Casting Los Angeles, CA
American Youth Symphony Productions New York City, NY
Atlanta Hawks & Philips Arena Atlanta, GA
Australian Baseball League (ABL) Sydney, Australia
Blue Cat Screen Play Los Angeles, CA
Bluegrass Films Universal City, CA
Donner Company Los Angeles, CA
EideCom Creative Agency Brooklyn Park, MN
Endgame Entertainment Beverly Hills, CA
Experiment Media Los Angeles, CA
Gosh! TV on The Lot Los Angeles, CA
High Noon Entertainment Los Angeles, CA
Interloper Films Pasadena, CA
Kickstart Entertainment Santa Monica, CA
Lawrence Bender Productions Beverly Hills, CA
Luminous Being Los Angeles, CA
Montecito Picture Company Los Angeles, CA
Moss Garden Productions Madison, WI & Brooklyn, NY
National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences North Hollywood, CA
National Geographic Films Washington, D.C.
NFL Films Mount Laurel, NJ
Pro Music Records Los Angeles, CA
Smithsonian Washington, D.C.
Sony Animation Culver City, CA
Univision Communications Incorporated Los Angeles, CA
Daybreak Studios Lawrence, KS
Free State Festival Lawrence, KS
Gizmo Pictures Topeka, KS
Herizon Productions Overland Park, KS
Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission Topeka, KS
KU Marketing Communications (in the Office of Public Affairs at KU) Lawrence, KS
KU Media Productions Lawrence, KS
KU MediaMix (KJHK) Lawrence, KS
KU Information Technology - Media Production Studio Lawrence, KS
Lawrence Arts Center Lawrence, KS
Lied Center Lawrence, KS
Rockhaven Films Lawrence, KS
Through A Glass Productions Lawrence, KS
United States Tennis Association - Missouri Valley Prairie Village, KS
Allied Integrated Marketing Kansas City, MO
Ariel Media Kansas City, MO
Branit FX Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Chiefs Football Club Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Film Office Kansas City, MO
Liquid 9 Kansas City, MO & Chicago, IL
Outpost Worldwide Kansas City
St. Louis Cardinals St. Louis, MO
Take Two Productions Kansas City, MO
USSSA Midwest Media Kansas City, MO
Wide Awake Films Kansas City, MO
Wright/Laird Casting Kansas City, MO