One way to guarantee a spot at KU is by meeting our assured admission criteria:
- 21+ ACT (1060+ SAT*) and 3.25+ GPA or 24+ ACT (1160+ SAT*) and 3.0+ GPA
- AND 2.0+ GPA (2.5+ for out-of-state students) in a college prep curriculum
- If applicable, achieve a 2.0 GPA or higher on any college credit taken in high school
*All references to SAT scores refer to math and evidence-based reading and writing from tests taken after February 2016. For tests taken before February 2016 please use this table to convert your score.
Please note that meeting our assured admission standards earns you entry into KU’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; other schools and programs have their own requirements for admission.
International students seeking admission should refer to the International Recruitment and Undergraduate Admissions section.
Admission to the Film and Media Studies major
- Must be admissible to KU by assured admission or individual review.
For more information and any necessary forms please contact your Faculty Advisor or your FMS Advisor. To find your advisor, please use this link.
- Application Fee
- Graduation Record Examination scores of at least 160 verbal, 144 quantitative and 4.5 analytical writing. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service. For routing, our institutional code is 6871: our departmental code is 4505. Check with your GRE Examination Center to be certain your scores will arrive at KU by the application deadline.
- For the Ph.D. Degree, applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.2 for undergraduate and at least 3.5 for graduate work
The items listed below should be submitted online with the application and/or addressed to:
KU Department of Film & Media Studies
1300 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045
- An official transcript, sent directly to KU, from every previous college or university attended (copies issued to students not accepted).
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation, two of which should be from your current or former teachers.
- A current resume of academic and artistic experiences
- A statement of personal goals that explains why you want to pursue graduate study.
- A writing sample (no more than 15 pages) that demonstrates your ability to theorize, analyze, and synthesize scholarly information.
- Non-native English speakers must demonstrate proof of English proficiency before gaining admission to a graduate program. More information about English Proficiency requirements including requirements to hold a Graduate Teaching Assistant position is available on the Graduate Studies website
Deadlines *Fall 2021*
- January 15 to be considered for funding for the Fall term
- February 15 to be considered without funding for the Fall term
For more information about graduate admission please contact Julia Reilly, Graduate Academic Advisor at email@example.com
Currently enrolled Students
Students must be in good standing with their graduate degree program in order to participate in the certificate program. A graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for admission. The application process entails completing the online application, paying the application fee, and submitting materials required for the Film and Media Studies Certificate:
The items listed below should be submitted online with the application
- A cover letter
- A copy of your KU advising report
- A letter of support from your faculty advisor or Director of Graduate Studies in your graduate degree program.
Important: There are two slots for letters of recommendation. Please enter the email address of your supervisor or DGS under Recommender 1. Enter your KU student email address under Recommender 2.
Non-KU graduate students must complete an application to the Graduate School for admission into the certificate program and submit an application fee along with the following materials:
- A cover letter
- A copy of your college transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work or potential for graduate study
For questions regarding the application process please contact Julia Reilly, Graduate Academic Advisor or firstname.lastname@example.org